Friday, July 6, 2012


AM I TOO OLD TO DANCE?  

Common perceptions would agree.   After all, I’m in my 50’s; have never had “formal” dance training; and while I have performed on stage and off, have never danced professionally.  It is human nature to doubt.  Certainly I have my moment.  Yet, the call to dance is stronger than any self-doubt.  So…here I am, embarking on this incredible journey to leap into my commitment to explore all the possibilities of dance and what I want to say with my dance. 

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always wanted to dance.   I did not have access to formal dance training during my formative years, but always managed to find ways to participate in dance projects offered by the various schools I attended.  Or I would fling myself around the house, accompanied by scratchy vinyl albums played on a small plastic turntable.  My mother’s frequent admonishments to stop acting “silly” were oftentimes ignored.  I simply retreated to the solitude of my bedroom, closed the door, and continued.  My body just moved whenever I heard music and my poor mother’s vain attempts to “tame” my “wildness” was a constant source of conflict.

During my college years, I had the good fortune to meet a group of dedicated dance students who kindly enveloped me with their positive energies.   It was with them that I attended my first dance class.  My soul found its center.   I spent most of my college years in the dance studio…learning, experimenting, discovering, dancing. 

After I left college, I put aside dance for several decades.   I married my wonderful husband, had two wonderful kids and lived a happy, fulfilled family life.   I worked in various fields through the years, from retail to travel consultant to bookkeeping to nonprofit administration.   But my passion for dance remained a vivid spark within my heart…and I knew that it was only a matter of time before I found my way back to it.   I didn’t have any clear idea about what I wanted to do with dance.  It was enough to know that somehow, some day, I will dance.

My explorations began 10 years ago, starting with consistent attendance of dance classes.  I’ve been a Company Manager for a local dance studio and the Executive Director of a nonprofit professional dance company.   I’ve worked with incredible dancers, dance administrators and dance instructors…learning a variety of skills beyond the dance studio.   My friends and I have produced dance festivals, designed and managed dance programs and residencies within our communities and initiated artistic collaborations with other organizations and artists.  It was a huge period of growth for me.

Now I come full circle to the question of what I hope to accomplish in my pursuit of dance at my age.   It is really a matter of perception, isn’t it?  I’ve wasted enough time wondering whether my dreams are possible.  They become impossible if I stay static….if I don’t listen to the call….if I don’t trust my dreams.  Everyone can dance.  Every person brings his or her uniqueness to their expressions of movements.  My dream is to celebrate humanity by creating and encouraging dialogue and discussion through the use of movement.  Age is a non-issue.    

I’ll see you in the studio!

1 comment: