Monday, July 23, 2012


"PAINTING PLUM BLOSSOMS IN THE AIR"

A few weeks ago, at a photography exhibit, I came across an interesting piece that was based upon a Chinese saying of “Painting Plum Blossoms in the Air.”   The phrase referred to the story of a Chan monk who spent his life painting plum blossoms in the air, but never actually put ink to paper.  The immediate question one has….what is the purpose of all that effort if there isn’t proof of some sort of product?  Where is the concrete evidence?

I admit that I was falling victim to this sentiment as I started to measure my self-worth against what I have accomplished so far.   Here is that tricky word again….accomplishment.  What can I list as my accomplishments?  Seems to be somewhat of a short list!

We live in such a goal-oriented society where success oftentimes is measured by the obvious external factors, most commonly that of fame and fortune.   I certainly have neither.  I take a whole host of dance classes, but I don’t consider myself a “professional dancer.”   I have choreographic concepts that I want to explore, but have not yet choreographed any original pieces.  I have a million ideas of things I want to do, but they are so far just ideas…many of which are in that “vague, fantasy” state.    It sure is easy to descend into feeling overwhelmed and defeated!

BUT…. while it is the human condition to doubt, (doubt keeps us honest and humble), it is also part of my human condition to be optimistic in the face of obstacles.    Plus, having a heap big dose of plain old-fashioned stubbornness helps!    I am at a stage in my life where I can actually engage in my love for dance. I have the time and energy to pursue, experiment and experience the myriad joys of dance.   I am surrounded by generous, talented artists who inspire me with their commitment to their craft.  My wonderful family and friends are all completely supportive of my endeavors.   I am in a good place.  There is no turning back.  I refuse to give up.   The truth is pretty simple….I can’t imagine my life without dance!

The only measure of success that I should focus on is how I approach my daily practice of dance.  That is the key word…practice…not end-result.  There is no end-result…only continuous, mindful practice.  Every experience (good or bad) is an inspiration for further exploration through the lens of dance.  Every day, whether I am in the studio or not, I am dancing. 

And so, I am painting my plum blossoms in the air....except, of course, I am painting with dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment